What We’re Listening To

Hatchet reporter Asha Omelian shares her latest musical obsessions.

no doubt
Gwen Stefani of No Doubt. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons License.

Push and Shove
No Doubt

There is no argument that No Doubt’s sound has changed since the band’s 1986 debut. No song better exemplifies this than their latest single, “Push and Shove.” It is dramatically faster and more energetic than the typically ska-driven No Doubt catalog, the tune parallels the band’s pop-driven, radio-friendly “Hella Good.” But “Push and Shove” pushes No Doubt’s musical boundaries, featuring electronic artist Major Lazer and dance-hall reggae artist Busy Signal. One of the latest string of artists to collaborate with electronic musicians, the band manages to use this fusion to its advantage, including a noticeable but not overpowering electronic touch. Busy Signal’s reggae vocals are reminiscent of No Doubt’s early style and add a signature trademark to the song.

Hippies is Punks
Wavves

In “Hippies is Punks”, Wavves boasts a nostalgic beach sound characteristic of the California-based band. Although the sound deviates from the style of classic, older Wavves songs such as “King of the Beach”, the upbeat mix of pop and surf rock in “Hippies is Punks” takes the band in a promising direction. The lyrics are catchy, as lead singer Nathan Williams’ lines, “So get me out of your head, and I’ll get you out of mine. Get me out of your head, it’s just a waste of time” provide listeners with a relatable situation in lyrical form or just a set of memorable words to sing along to. The guitar is uncharacteristically denser and thicker than in other Wavves songs, but retains the band’s notoriously chill feel.

It’s Time (Passion Pit Remix)
Imagine Dragons

The Passion Pit remix of “It’s Time” makes an already fantastic song even better. The remix adds pronounced percussive and bass sounds to the previously mellow tune, lending it a laid-back summer music festival vibe. Still, these dominant drum and bass beats are in no way overpowering. Rather than completely altering the structure of the song, they provide a dreamy, trance-like feel to the piece. Front-man Dan Reynold’s unique voice perfectly meshes with Passion Pit’s eclectic sound to create this unforgettable piece of music.