Profile on Style

Profile on Style is a weekly post that explores the motivations behind GW’s fashion trends. We’ll show you the most interesting aspects of GW style, and then try to make some sense of it all. Keep your eyes open for a reporter and photographer walking around, because you might become the latest trendsetter.

This post was written by Kelsey Renz.

Ryan Wells. Carly Lisnow | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Ryan Wells
Hometown: Las Vegas
Year: 2015
Major: International affairs
Outfit: Shoes, Tretorn; pants, Hurley; shirt, Banana Republic; blazer, Nordstrom

We spotted Ryan placing an order at Whole Foods, where he stood out from the casually dressed crowd in a blazer and cords. Ryan said he was motivated to put together the ensemble to look fresh and presentable for fraternity recruitment. We were most impressed by his use of a navy blazer and pair of shoes to seamlessly incorporate the gorgeous pattern of his shirt into the look. His blazer plays upon the darker blue shades in his shirt, while his tan pants add texture and keep the ensemble from appearing too formal.  Ryan’s look is the perfect combination of ease and elegance, easily adaptable for all occasions.

Olaide Ajomagberin. Carly Lisnow | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Olaide Ajomagberin
Hometown: New York City
Year: 2015
Major: Journalism
Outfit: Shoes, Aldo; pants, H&M; top, Nasty Gal; cardigan, Gap

Olaide’s outfit was a breath of fresh air on an otherwise cold and dreary day. She used bright colors to create an outfit that was both vibrant and stylish. Her funky T-shirt was a perfect match for her teal cords, proving that it is possible to mix colorful pants and a playful top without overwhelming the eyes. She tied the look together with a black sweater, introducing another shade in a subtle way. Her oxford shoes were notable as an unexpected change from the flats and boots normally seen on campus. Olaide’s ensemble was both sophisticated and exciting, and a great example of how to mix a variety of colors, patterns and textures without clashing.

Erin Yee. Carly Lisnow | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Erin Yee
Hometown: Ardsley, N.Y.
Year: 2014
Major: Exercise science
Outfit: Shoes, Libby Edelman; pants, Just USA; sweater, J. Crew; scarf, Gap; earrings, ring, Kate Spade; bracelets, Alex and Ani; watch, Michael Kors

Erin was studying with a friend in Gelman when we noticed her fabulous look. Her pink polka-dot scarf popped against her tan sweater and black pants, bringing a bit of excitement to an outfit built on neutral colors. Her mixture of relatively simple pieces with beautiful accessories reinforces the idea that the accessories you choose to accompany an outfit are just as important as the clothes themselves. On a day when many students were bundled in comfortable sweatpants and heavy coats, Erin shined in an ensemble that was both appropriate for the cooler temperatures and dressy enough for a day in the city.