Weekend wrap-up

Then-freshman Francisco Dias, shown here during the 2011 tournament season. | Hatchet File Photo

We didn’t have room on our page today for all of the Colonial action over the weekend. Here’s a look at some of how the teams fared:

Sailing

The sailing team finished fifth in the Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta Sunday, and clinched a slot in the the War Memorial Regatta, the Mid-Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association’s Fall Championship, for the first time as a varsity program.

Sailing in 1-to-6 knot winds and light rain, GW racked up 47 points over four races Sunday, finishing overall with 136 points over 12 races. Seniors Ian Connors and Rebecca Engel earned scores of 4-4-7-7 Sunday, finishing fifth overall in the A Division, with 75 points. Freshman Maria Sinagra and sophomore Meagan Murphy  tallied scores of 7-4-5-9 Sunday, finishing with 61 total points for fourth place in the B Division.

Men’s tennis

Sophomore Francisco Dias completed his run at the ITA/D’Novo All-American Championships Saturday, falling to No. 60 Connor Smith of Ohio State in straight sets in the quarterfinal of the main draw consolation singles bracket. Dias fell in sets scored at 6-2, 6-4.

Other members of the Colonials competed in the three-day UVA Fall Classic. Junior Ulrik Thomsen defeated his Liberty opponent in straight sets Saturday to advance to the singles consolation final Sunday, where he defeated A-10 foe VCU’s Dylan McCloskey, also in straight sets, to win the consolation draw. Senior Leonardo Lapentti fell in the semifinal singles match Saturday, and played for third place Sunday before falling to his William & Mary opponent to finish fourth overall. Junior Viktor Svensson automatically advanced to a fifth-place match, where he fell in straight sets to his Penn State opponent.

Club men’s lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse club team upset NCAA Division III opponent Hood College 8-6 at the Hood Athletic Center Sunday.

Sophomore captain Jake Venditto paced the Colonials, netting a hat trick to help carry GW over its varsity opponent. Five other Colonials scored a goal on the victory, including freshman Connor Slye, junior Ian Larson, freshman Tim Wetzel, sophomore Max Levine and senior David Goscinak.

GW rebounded from an early 3-1 hole at the end of the first quarter, pulling within one at the half. From there, the game was controlled by the Colonials, exploding out of the gate in the second half with three unanswered goals in the third quarter and two early in the fourth. GW held on through a late offensive push from Hood to claim the victory.