Profile on Style

Profile on Style is a weekly post that explores the motivations behind GW’s fashion trends. We’ll show you the most interesting aspects of GW style, and then try to make some sense of it all. Keep your eyes open for a reporter and photographer walking around, because you might become the latest trendsetter.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Kelsey Renz.

Maren Engh. Carly Lisnow | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Maren Engh
Hometown: Westport, Conn.
Year: 2013
Major: International affairs
Outfit: Cardigan, J. Crew; skirt, shoes, Urban Outfitters; bracelet, Chan Luu; earrings, Anthropologie

We spotted Maren enjoying lunch with a friend outside of Whole Foods. Her outfit is a prime example of color blocking done right, with two colors and two stand-out pieces tied together in tasteful outfit. She balances a vibrant turquoise asymmetrical skirt with a neutral cardigan and pair of flats, placing the emphasis on her fabulous skirt that stands out not only for its colorful hue but also for its feminine shape. Maren is dressed appropriately for the transition into fall weather, proving that cooler temperatures need not force students to sacrifice their summer staples.

Juliet Schear. Carly Lisnow | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Juliet Schear
Hometown: Butler, N. J.
Year: 2016
Major: Political communication
Outfit: Shirt, Forever 21; jacket, Abercrombie; pants, Lululemon; boots, Famous Footwear; earrings, scarf, New York City

Juliet says her personal style is inspired by the concept of mixing simple, versatile pieces. This particular look was “easy” and effortless, centering on a funky scarf that Juliet was excited to break out for autumn. Her simple white shirt is topped with a neutral jacket whose cuffs reveal a floral print, adding a subtle touch of color to an ensemble based mostly on darker shades. Her fierce boots make the look flexible enough to be appropriate for both class or a day out with friends. The casual and comfortable ensemble proves that just a few strong staples can really pull together a great look.

Dyllan Mont. Carly Lisnow | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Dyllan Mont
Hometown: Long Valley, N.J.
Year: 2013
Major: Dance
Outfit: Blouse, thrift shop; top, Urban Outfitters; jacket, Guess; pants, Levi’s; boots, Sam Edelman; sunglasses, Ray-Ban

If you are hoping to layer this fall but fear overdoing it, look no further for inspiration. We caught up with Dyllan at Starbucks while she was waiting for her order in a beautifully layered outfit and embellished booties. Dyllan’s combination of similarly colored tops emits a rocker casual vibe when paired with a jacket from Guess. Her Ray-Ban sunglasses complete the look. Dyllan is effortlessly put together and ready for whatever the day may bring. We especially loved her Sam Edelman booties, which were a refreshing change from the simple black and brown leather boots normally seen on campus.