Put student life in the strategic plan

Students here hail from nearly every state and from all over the world, studying subjects ranging from political science to engineering and dance. But we will all have one thing in common for the rest of our lives: a GW degree.

That being said, as the University lays out its strategic plan, there’s one thing missing: student life.

The aim is to outline a vision and goals for the future. It’s exciting that the University wants to focus on the main working themes of globalization, governance and policy, innovation through interdisciplinary collaboration and citizenship and leadership. The question is, how do we, as students, play into all this? How can we tie the student wants and needs into the bigger picture?

I meet with members of the administration regularly, and they’ve heard what the Student Association has to say. But who they need to hear from is all of you.

The Student Association will host a town hall Tuesday with Provost Steven Lerman to discuss how the strategic plan can better incorporate student life components. Students should take an active role in this process. If we work with the administration, the plan will be stronger, and we will be able to establish a long-term plan for student life.

We all want to make our mark on this university. Being a part of this planning process will ensure we actually can.

I’ll see you there,

Ashwin Narla, Student Association President 2012-2013