What We’re Listening To

Hatchet reporter Angelica Florio shares her latest musical obsessions.

Frank Ocean. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons License.

Forrest Gump
Frank Ocean

Forrest Gump by name and Forrest Gump by nature, this song provides listeners with a feel-good, comfortable vibe much like the iconic character does. Frank Ocean has come a long way from his Odd Future days, where his smooth, soothing and cool vocals were largely out of place. Now, with his debut album “Channel Orange,” Ocean has a chance to grace listeners with his distinctive raw voice and his unique electro-soul-rap style. This song is one of the most lighthearted on the album, a combination of idiosyncratic sounds from the electric guitar and organ, all backed by a catchy beat.  On top of all this, we hear a more vulnerable side to Ocean, as he sings, “If this is love, I know it’s true.” The lyrics are sweet and the sound is fresh – who can resist that?

Myth
Beach House

Beach House’s dream-like sound provides listeners with the perfect escape from reality. Whenever you find yourself pining to forget about the stresses of real life, listen to Beach House’s recently released “Myth.” The tune pairs repetition of electronic keyboard melodies with the airy voice of lead singer Victoria Legrand, who thoughtfully muses, “You can’t keep hangin’ on/To all that’s dead and gone,/If you built yourself a myth/You’d know just what to give.” Although the majority of “Myth” sounds eerily futuristic, halfway through, the repeating melodies cease and the song briefly becomes reminiscent of ’80s dream pop. Beach House’s combination of both forward-thinking and vintage sounds allows listeners to zone into a different time, forget about the present and just enjoy the music.

A Father’s First Spring
The Avett Brothers

This song is all about its heart-warming lyrics and waltz-like beat, proving that sometimes simplicity is more. The Avett Brothers know how to perfectly combine elements from folk, rock, country and bluegrass music with truly poetic lyrics. They exemplify these qualities in their lullaby like song, “A Father’s First Spring,” written about lead singer Scott Avett’s daughter Eleanor. The brothers effortlessly harmonize to the words, “I never lived till I lived in your light,/And my heart never beat like it does at the sight/Of you baby blue, God blessed your life/I do not live less I live in your light.” There is a certain intimacy to this song, evoking the sense that it was written and recorded with love. The translation of such powerful emotion from artists to listeners distinguishes this tune.