To save money before a big night out, drink in.
It’s hardly summer in Spain until people are outside drinking tinto de verano, a popular sangria-like drink that mixes wine with lemon-lime soda. To combine the fruity flavor of sangria with the light bubbliness of tinto de verano, I made mine with strawberries — inspired by sangria I had in Seville, Spain — and also added kiwi. A splash of blood orange soda, instead of lemon-lime, gives red wine a refreshing twist.
- 1 bottle of red wine (I used Evodia Calatayud ’10.)
- 1 package of strawberries
- 3 kiwis
- 1 bottle of Lorina Italian sparkling blood orange juice
- Quarter the strawberries, and peel and slice the kiwis.
- Marinate the fruit in the red wine and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.
- Pour in the blood orange soda and garnish with a strawberry or kiwi.