A hop, skip and a jump

If you dread having to stray far off campus but want a delicious meal, drinks or something more casual, try any one of these places – all in walking or biking distance – for those times when Whole Foods Market and J Street get old.

1. District Commons

American

Located right in Washington Circle, District Commons has joined the Foggy Bottom restaurant elite. Start off your meal with a pretzel baguette ($2) followed by shrimp and grits or vegetable pot pie. The larger portions will leave you with leftovers for the rest of the weekend. Enjoy people-watching through the large glass windows in a cozy atmosphere.

2200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Mondays – Thursdays 5:30 to 10 p.m., Fridays 5:30 to 11 p.m., Saturdays 5 to 11 p.m., Sundays 5 to 9 p.m.

2. Meiwah

While there are many Chinese restaurants in walking distance of campus, Meiwah is a cut above the rest. Enjoy huge portions of classic Chinese dishes, like Kung Pao Chicken ($11.95) or Scallop in Garlic Sauce ($15.95) if you want something spicier. Meiwah also features many vegetarian options. The service is fast, the food is affordable and you will surely be full when you leave. Also check out the décor and find signed pictures of your favorite celebrities and politicians.

1200 New Hampshire Ave.
Mondays – Thursdays 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., Fridays 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., Saturdays noon to 10:30 p.m., Sundays noon to 10 p.m.

3.Cafe Tu-O-Tu

Cafe

This Georgetown café offers a variety of sandwiches, paninis and salads, all at affordable prices and on GWorld. Before or after shopping, sit outside on the patio or sidewalk tables. Tu-O-Tu also offers free Wi-Fi, making it a great off-campus study space.

2816 Pennsylvania Ave.
Mondays – Fridays 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sundays 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo by Ashley Lucas | Contributing Photo Editor

4. Madhatter

Bar

This hotspot for students is famous for its specials, like $1 mugs of beer Thursdays after 8 p.m. Check online for daily specials, and enjoy the bar space, booths and dance floor for a crazy night that does not require a cab ride home.

1319 Connecticut Ave.
Monday – Thursdays 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., Fridays 11 a.m. to 3 a.m., Sundays 10 a.m. to 2 a.m.

5. One Lounge

Dive Bar

This Dupont favorite has signature cocktails to fit any taste. The chill interior and outdoor patio overlooking the circle add ambiance to this dive bar. The daily happy hour lasts from 5 to 7 p.m. and offers options like truffle fries ($6) and a PBR ($2). Check out this hipster spot before it gets too crowded.

1606 20th St., NW
Open from 5 p.m. Mondays – Saturdays