GW named a military friendly school for fourth straight year

Students took part in a Veteran’s Day ceremony last November.  Hatchet File Photo

For the fourth year in a row, the University secured a place on G.I. Jobs magazine’s “Military Friendly Schools” list.

The annual list, released Monday, honors the top 15 percent of colleges that offer exceptional programs and services to veterans.

GW is one of 1,739 veteran-friendly universities in the country, out of the more than 12,000 schools surveyed. Last year, about 8,000 schools were considered for the rankings.

The magazine considers veteran support services, academic accreditation, percentage of veteran students in the student body and veteran graduation rate.

Tommy Davis, president of GW Veterans, said he thinks the University’s spot on the list reflects the range of programming GW offers to veterans, and the steep growth of its veteran population.

“The support we get from the University allows us to do pretty incredible things,” Davis said, pointing to the freshman reading program First Chapter using Sebastian Junger’s ‘War” this year and Colonial Invasion being held at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall in Fort Myer, Va.

GW’s veteran population has ballooned in recent years, and the veteran population is expected to surpass 1,000 this year. The number of veterans nearly tripled between 2008 and 2011, when GW joined the Yellow Ribbon Program, which offers financial aid for veterans who served in active duty after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Andrew Sonn, assistant vice president for student affairs, oversees student veterans at GW and said he is proud the school was included in the list.

“Over these last four years, the GW community has come together to support service members’ academic and career aspirations,” Sonn said.