Students arrested for intent to sell marijuana

Updated Sept. 13, 2012, 4:51 p.m.

Metropolitan Police officers arrested two students Saturday for possession of and intent to sell marijuana in South Hall.

Officers seized 12 “clear zips containing a green weed like” substance that tested positive for THC, which is found in marijuana. They also found 19 pieces of drug paraphernalia, according to MPD documents. Erika Grohoski and Rachel Kenny were then arrested.

The MPD officer who led the bust, Robert Reese, did not return a request for comment about the amount seized.

The University Police Department responded to a reports of a “suspicious odor” coming from the ninth-floor South Hall room, UPD Captain Mark Balazik said. During a room search, officers saw the drugs and paraphernalia in plain site and called in the Metropolitan Police Department.

University policy lists expulsion as the typical consequence for selling drugs, and possession of more than one ounce of marijuana is considered a major offense, likely leading to suspension.

Ninety percent of drug violations on campus involve marijuana, UPD Chief Kevin Hay said in June. Two students were arrested Aug. 31 for possession of cocaine, ecstasy pills, marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

This article was updated Sept. 13, 2012 to reflect the following:

The Metropolitan Police Department records listed Samantha Marshall as being charged with intent to distribute marijuana with the other students. The Hatchet received further information after publication time, indicating that Marshall was only arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernelia.