Students arrested for cocaine, ecstasy

Metropolitan Police officers arrested two students Friday for possession of cocaine, ecstasy pills, marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Officers seized two small bags with less than a gram of cocaine, nine ecstasy pills, “a small amount” of marijuana and drug paraphernalia from the students, both 19-year-old females, in Munson Hall, according to MPD documents and University Police Department captain Mark Balazik.

Two UPD officers smelled a marijuana-like odor while walking past Alexandra Brown’s and Calle Knight’s seventh-floor room during a routine patrol. They entered the unlocked room at 1:31 a.m., according to the documents.

The officers saw one student as they entered the room, and discovered another in the closet during a sweep. They also found a glass pipe in the adjacent bathroom.

The students then turned over the other drugs to the officers. Both students were immediately taken into custody by MPD.

Brown and Knight were both referred to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities for disciplinary action.

Possession of any drug – excluding less than one ounce marijuana – is considered a major offense under University policy, likely leading to suspension.

Students who are repeat offenders could lose housing or face probation.

Thirteen drug arrests were made on the Foggy Bottom campus in 2010, according to the most recent and official UPD crime statistics.

UPD Chief Kevin Hay said in June that 90 percent of drug violations involve marijuana.