Push for students to take more Vern classes fails

The University launched a campaign this fall to push students to take more courses on the Mount Vernon Campus.

Advisers, administrators and professors are encouraging undergraduates over email and in person to take multiple classes on the Vern as part of a “Two Two” campaign, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Planning Forrest Maltzman.

He said GW wanted students to think about cutting down travel time and taking advantage of Vern amenities such as Pelham Commons. But efforts so far have not significantly boosted the number of students taking multiple courses on the campus, though the campus also added more than a dozen courses.

About 22 percent of students taking Vern classes are enrolled in more than one course on the campus, up 1 percent from last spring, when GW reopened Ames Hall with an academic center.

The Vern offered 166 undergraduate courses this fall. University spokeswoman Latarsha Gatlin did not disclose the number of undergraduate courses offered on the Vern last fall.

Nearly 2,000 students are taking classes on the Vern this fall.

Maltzman added that shuttling more students to the Vern also helps free up classroom space on Foggy Bottom, which helps as construction temporarily closes classrooms and GW seeks to remain within its enrollment cap.

“The price of an urban school is that space is really, really valuable, so we try to utilize our classrooms very efficiently, and this helps us do that,” Maltzman said.

When students travel to the Vern, they become part of a daily headcount which cannot exceed 1,650 according to the Mount Vernon Campus Plan.

The University Writing program relocated to the Vern last spring, placing more freshmen into classes on the campus.

Maria Frawley, interim associate provost for academic affairs on the Mount Vernon Campus, said the formal campaign is an amplification of past years efforts to draw students to the Vern.

In her position, Frawley said she would focus on sculpting the Mount Vernon campus into a “premiere freshman experience” by integrating programs among the University Honors Program, Women’s Leadership Program and University Writing program, all of which have homes on the Vern.

The heads of each program will meet later this month to plan events that Frawley said would help unify the campus.