Staff Editorial: New hires promising for future

In the past year, GW hired 96 new full-time faculty members, up from 76 new hires in the fall of last year. At a time when many universities have been forced to freeze spending and hiring of new faculty members, the University emerged largely unscathed.

While Northwestern University, a competitor, was forced to cut back on its hiring due to decreases in their endowment in recent years, administrators said GW has diversified its faculty by hiring some of the most talented and accomplished scholars in the country.

In a crucial time, when administrators are looking to raise the bar for academics, bringing in new and talented professors is an example of making moves in areas that administrators have been highlighting as major priorities. New hires across a vast array of educational disciplines will provide undergraduate students with more opportunities to conduct research and enjoy personal attention from academic leaders in various fields.

It is no secret GW wants to become a top-tier research institution. This past week, the University unveiled a rebranding campaign that seemed out of sync with the desire to increase its prestige and national recognition. In that instance, the University’s goals and actions didn’t coincide.

Unlike the rebranding campaign, new professors will have a tangible effect on students and the University. And for that, GW deserves praise.