Hatchet Recipes: Bites for your next bash

Skewers are the perfect party food – you can eat them without even putting down your drink. Biting into one of my chicken potato skewers is a party in itself. Flavors of tender chicken, savory roasted tomatoes and rich baby potatoes balance perfectly in this dish. Dipped in tandoori raita – made with healthy Greek yogurt and infused with lime, garlic and mint, it’s a fun appetizer that will make your kitchen a destination.

Ingredients

Serves about eight

1 bag of baby potatoes
1 container of grape tomatoes
Olive oil
Salt
Fresh thyme leaves
Greek yogurt, a few tablespoons
2 garlic cloves, minced
Tandoori spice
Half of one lime
Cumin, a pinch
Mint, chopped
Honey (optional drizzle)
2 chicken breasts

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Rinse potatoes and tomatoes, and toss with olive oil, salt and thyme. Scatter on a sheet pan, and bake, turning once, until potatoes are tender and tomatoes are soft and slightly shriveled.

3. Meanwhile, mix together the yogurt, garlic, tandoori seasoning, lime juice, salt, cumin and mint. You can also add a drizzle of honey. Allow the flavors to marry while you prepare the chicken.

4. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Then add the chicken, and season with salt and tandoori seasoning. Add curry powder for an extra kick.

5. Slide pieces of chicken, tomato and potato onto each skewer. Repeat until all skewers are assembled. Serve on a platter or on a cucumber boat. To make the cucumber boat, peel the bottom so the cucumber lays flat, and slice off the top quarter of it. Scoop out the cucumber, and fill with sauce. Garnish with cucumber strands.