100 incoming freshmen pull out of GW

The number of freshmen who submitted deposits to the University but chose not to attend remained steady for the third straight year, the head of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions said Friday.

About 100 freshmen – about 20 more than last year’s summer dropoff rate – chose to pull out of GW this summer, forfeiting their $800 deposits.

“[Their reasoning] could be financial; it could be that they got off the waitlist somewhere else; it could be that they put in three deposits all at the same time and couldn’t make up their mind; it could be something personal within their family. There are so many reasons, and you hear them all,” Associate Vice President and Dean of Admissions Kathryn Napper said.

The Class of 2016 will total 2,400 students – slightly larger than last year’s 2,270-student class, Napper said.

Last year, full-time students came in just 159 students under the city’s enrollment cap. Napper said this year’s total would also fall under the permitted number.

This post was updated on Aug. 28, 2012 to reflect the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported Kathryn Napper’s title as executive director of undergraduate admissions. She is the associate vice president and dean of admissions.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.