Welcome Back Guide: Events

Whether it’s your first or last year as a GW student, make the most of the Welcome Week lineup. The Hatchet is here to help you customize your calendar for the first week back.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 25

G-Dub First Night
9:30 to 11 p.m. – Marvin Center
Start the year off at G-Dub First Night, and unleash your inner child with inflatables and games. The event offers a chance to bond with new friends. #FreeFood #Goodies

House Meetings
Throughout the evening – Marvin Center
Although the first few weeks of school can be hectic and busy, do not forget to meet your house staff. These students are here to ease your transition to college. Your house staff will let you know of your specific meeting time and place. #Info

SUNDAY, AUGUST 26

Sunday Brunch
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. – West Hall
Finding a decent brunch for under $10 is rare – especially for an on-campus all-you-can-eat buffet. Roll out of bed, and head to the Mount Vernon Campus for a brunch ($7.25), which you can pay for with Dining Dollars. If you miss out this time, you can always catch it any other Sunday morning in West Hall. #Food

Legacy Family Welcome Reception
10 a.m. to noon – Alumni House, 1918 F St.
Legacy students from the Class of 2016 and their families are invited to a welcome brunch reception, sponsored by the Office of Alumni Relations. Legacy students and alumni are those whose family members currently attend or previously attended GW. RSVP online. #RSVP

New Look & Logo Launch
7 p.m. – University Yard
Be a part of GW’s rich history as the University reveals its new and much-hyped look and logo in University Yard. Share your GW story in a mobile studio, and snag free food, music and giveaways. #FreeFood #Goodies

Movie on the Yard: The Avengers
8 p.m. – University Yard
What better way to start a super year than with a superhero movie and snacks? Grab a blanket and friends, and head over to the Program Board-sponsored event on an outdoor screen. #FreeFood #Entertainment

MONDAY, AUGUST 27

SMPA Majors BBQ
1 to 3 p.m. – Square 80 (Green space behind South Hall)
Here is your opportunity to mix and mingle with your classmates, new professors and SMPA fellows, as you are welcomed to the school. Free refreshments and a catered barbecue will be served. One ticket per SMPA major is allowed. #FreeFood #RSVP

Recess: Kickin’ It with Campus Leaders
3 to 7 p.m. – University Yard
Children of the ‘90s: This is for you. The Residence Hall Association is sponsoring a ‘90s-themed round-robin kickball tournament with campus leaders on the National Mall. This is a great way to become involved on campus, as new students will be introduced to different types of leadership opportunities. #Sports

Student Performance Showcase
7 to 11 p.m. – Lisner Auditorium and Kogan Plaza
Why walk blocks to the Kennedy Center when GW’s performers are just steps away? Check out this annual showcase featuring campus singers, actors, dancers and comedians. A dessert reception will follow. The show starts at 7:30 p.m., but doors open at 7 p.m., so be sure to arrive early to grab a seat. #FreeFood #Entertainment

Senior Breakfast
9 to 11 a.m. – Alumni House, 1918 F St.
Gather for a breakfast to begin the end of your undergraduate career. Stop by the Alumni House for a free breakfast, sponsored by the Senior Class Gift Campaign. #FreeFood

Librarypalooza!
4 to 6 p.m. – Kogan Plaza
Rain Date: Aug. 30 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Let’s face it: GW’s libraries will become your second home over the course of your college years. Stop by this cookout to learn more about the University’s different libraries. The staff can provide information of Gelman Library renovation plans and how they will affect your life at GW. #FreeFood

University Services & Student Organization Fair
6:30 to 8:30 p.m. – University Yard
(Rain Date: Wednesday, Aug. 29)

Featuring more than 175 groups, the Student Organization Fair is the perfect opportunity to check out some new potential interests, find out how to pursue your longstanding passions at GW and get your name on way too many listservs. Hungry after checking out so many booths? Make sure to stop by the Taste of GWorld for free food and drink samples from GWorld vendors. #FreeFood #Goodies

Hypnotist, Tom DeLuca
9 to 11 p.m. – Marvin Center Betts Theatre
There never seems to be a dull moment during Welcome Week. Join the fun with some brave friends and be entertained – or be the evening’s entertainment at this annual event. #Entertainment

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29

LGBT Resource Center
Open House 5 to 6:30 p.m. – Multicultural Student Services Center
Celebrate the LGBT community as LGBT students, allies and faculty welcome you to their resource center. As the most popular LGBT event of the year, sponsored by the Multicultural Student Services Center and LGBT Resource Center, the open house features free food and some good company. #FreeFood

Campaign GW Mount Vernon Campus Fall Kickoff
7 to 8 p.m. – West Hall Room B108 A&B
Meet the organization committed to sharing information about the progress of GW’s campus plans over a free dinner as they discuss their agenda for the upcoming year. Learn how you can be a part of GW’s future. #FreeFood #Info

Wacky Wednesday: Design on a Dime
9 to 11 p.m. – Post Hall at Mount Vernon Campus
Create your perfect dorm room on the perfect budget at this event sponsored by the Center for Student Engagement before heading out to Target Takeover to put your new knowledge to use. #Info

RHA Target Takeover
10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – Kogan Plaza, Thurston Hall and Mount Vernon Quad
An annual Welcome Week tradition, the Residence Hall Associations’s Target Takeover gives you shopaholics the chance to roam the aisles of Target and enjoy music, free refreshments and prizes. It’s open exclusively to GW students, so buy last-minute or forgotten items to create the perfect dorm room. Buses leave from the locations listed above. #FreeFood #Goodies

THURSDAY, AUGUST 30

“Intellectual Crack”
5 to 6 p.m. – Thurston Piano Lounge
As part of the Last Lecture series, join Professor Rebecca Carr for a talk about “Intellectual Crack” at this event sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs and the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs. #Info #Entertainment

Campaign GW Foggy Bottom Fall Kickoff
6 to 7:30 p.m. – Square 80
Learn how to become part of Campaign GW, an organization that keeps the community up to date on GW campus plans, and learn about their fall agenda. Come for the free food and stay for the interesting discussions. #FreeFood #Info

Recovery Meeting
7:30 p.m. – Gelman Starbucks
Learn more about support networks for students in recovery at GW with the members of Students for Recovery at Gelman Starbucks at 7:30 p.m., and then head to a meeting as a group at 8:30 p.m. #Info

FRIDAY, AUGUST 31

Colonial Quest Adventure Race
7 to 11 p.m. – Kogan Plaza
Assemble a team and race into the night throughout Foggy Bottom and nearby neighborhoods. Solve the clues correctly, choose your adventure wisely and compete for prizes at this event sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs. #Goodies

MSSC Block Party
4 to 7 p.m. – Square 80
Get your groove on with the Multicultural Student Services Center over free food, music, performances and dancing at this block party sponsored by the center. Contact the MSSC for more information. #FreeFood

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 1

Paddle Boat Passage
10:00 a.m. – Tidal Basin Paddle Boat Dock
Register online at imleagues.com for this paired paddle boat race, sponsored by Campus Recreation. #Sports

GW Women’s Soccer vs. Columbia University
1 p.m. – Mount Vernon Soccer Field
Show your school spirit by gearing up in buff and blue and cheer on the women’s soccer team with your peers at the start of the season. #Sports

Fall Fest
4 to 10 p.m. – University Yard
Join the GW community to see American DJ Diplo perform at the largest concert event of the semester. In addition to the live concert, Fall Fest features free food and fun at this annual event sponsored by the Program Board. #FreeFood #Goodies