Staff Editorial: Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down

Diplo

Students will get the chance to see another big name mash-up artist at this year’s Fall Fest. Following last year’s concert featuring Girl Talk, students can once again expect to dance in University Yard to what promises to be a thrilling performance from Diplo. Props to Program Board for another exciting headliner to kick off the new school year.

Washington Nationals

In case you haven’t been following sports news, the Washington Nationals have the best record in Major League Baseball this season. D.C. hasn’t seen baseball postseason play since the 1930s, according to the New York Times. Even though the team’s success might mean a busier stadium and a harder time getting tickets, we’re looking forward to watching competitive postseason play well into October. Congratulations to the Nats and diehard fans who have waited so long – and with so much #Natitude – for a few positive headlines. Let’s play ball.

Most Politically Active Campus

The numbers are in, and this year GW fell to No. 3 in the Princeton Review’s “Most Politically Active Campuses” list, losing first and second place to American and Georgetown universities, respectively. While this is a tough blow to a campus gearing up for a presidential election, these numbers don’t reflect the reality of GW students’ political involvement. And besides, GW came in first place last year and in 2009. Let’s be pleased with the work we have done to make a difference in the nation’s capital.

Mayor Gray Shadow Campaign

GW has hundreds of accomplished alumni, but Mayor Vincent Gray – a 1964 graduate of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences – won’t go down in the books for reforming a historically corrupt city. This summer, authorities discovered that Gray authorized a “shadow campaign” to win his 2010 mayoral election against Adrian Fenty. Hundreds of thousands of dollars were funneled into a secret account, causing many D.C. residents and District officials to call for his resignation. As an institution that has worked extensively with Gray in the past few years, GW should feel embarrassed about his illegal actions.

Student Move-Out Fees

About 500 students were fined this summer for damage to furniture in their residence hall rooms after spring move-out, causing a cascade of student appeals and complaints. While fines are an added burden to an already expensive university, they would not have been necessary if students were more responsible in cleaning out their rooms. But we wish the University had been transparent about its broom-clean charges. Students have the right to know what exactly they are paying for when they are charged seemingly arbitrary amounts for violations.

J Street

No matter what J Street does, it seems students are never completely satisfied with their dining options. GW has decided to reintroduce fast food to J Street by replacing Freshens with Auntie Anne’s pretzels in what looks like a desperate attempt to raise revenue and satisfaction. Bringing back fast food after the overhaul last summer, which gave venues like Wendy’s and Chick-fil-A the boot, means the University is reverting back to an unsuccessful and unhealthy approach to make J Street more popular. Despite our frustration with the return of fast food, we have to admit, we’re stoked for some soft pretzels.