Two alumni announce bids for local governing body

Ward 2 D.C. Council member Jack Evans speaks to the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission meeting. Members of the group are up for election in November. Hatchet File Photo.

Updated: August 6, 2012, 1:16 p.m.

Two alumni have announced their bids for seats on Foggy Bottom’s local governing body this November.

J.P. Blackford and Gabrielle Bluestone are both vying for commissioner positions on the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission, which oversees local issues like traffic concerns, noise complaints and construction.

Each advisory group across D.C. is divided into smaller, individual constituencies represented by one elected commissioner.

Blackford, who earned both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from GW, is the program director of GW’s Science and Engineering Apprentice Programs. He will run against junior Jackson Carnes for one of the newly created single member districts, according to a report released Monday by the city’s Board of Elections and Ethics.

The other contender, Bluestone, is running for a seat held by alumnus Graham Galka, who submitted his candidacy papers August 3 to the board of elections. Galka assumed his position in Oct. 2011 after a commissioner resigned in August 2011.

Bluestone is a former editor for The Hatchet.

Candidates have until August 8 to file their petitions with 25 signatures from their desired district to be included on the ballot. Blackford and Bluestone both have yet to register the signatures with the District’s election board.

As of Monday, one district remains with no candidates.