Two former members of men’s golf team nab academic honors

Senior Martin Liu of the men's golf team thanks the audience after the golf team was awarded the Moment of the Year for their first-ever Atlantic 10 Championship. Hatchet File Photo

Two former men’s golfers, Martin Liu and Andres Pumariega, are Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars, two of just 146 NCAA Division I student-athletes to earn the award.

To be eligible, student-athletes must be a junior or senior academically, have competed at least three full years at the collegiate level, participate in at least 70 percent of their team’s competitive rounds, boast a stroke-average of 76.0 or lower and maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.2.

Liu, who graduated this spring, served as a co-captain his senior season, posting a 76.0 stroke average through 32 rounds of competition. At the A-10 championship, Liu finished in 10th place overall, carding a two-round score of 1-under par 143.

Pumariega, slated to graduate this December, was the Colonials’ MVP for the second straight year last season. He posted a team-best 73.8 stroke average this season, while claiming a share of the Kiawah Classic championship, an A-10 performer of the week award, and finishing in second place at the A-10 championship with a two-round score of 5-under par 139.

Both golfers helped GW earn its first-ever Atlantic 10 championship and a trip to the NCAA regional round of competition.