D.C. workers let curse words fly, and the boss may not approve

Loose-lipped office workers in D.C. curse more in the work place than in any other U.S. city, according to a Career Builder report – but that may harm their career chances.

D.C. workers curse the most in their office despite foul-mouthed former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who spoke at GW's 2009 Commencement, switching his office to Chicago City Hall. Hatchet File Photo

Shit.

About 57 percent of employers said they’d be less likely to give a promotion to workers who often spit out four-letter words, according to the survey released Wednesday. That’s a bad sign for those trying to work their way up the office chain in D.C., named the most potty-mouthed city.

D.C. edged out Denver and Chicago, with 62 percent of D.C. workers claiming they swear at work, making the District the top swearing city even though former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, famous for his colorful language, has moved on to the Chicago mayorship.

All that swearing may call the employees’ professionalism into question, 81 percent of employers said. It could also mean a lack of maturity, 68 percent said.

And if you’re in the office cellar as an intern? Nationwide, 18-to-24 year olds are 16 percent less likely than their middle-aged coworkers to swear at work.