Women’s lacrosse adds two assistant coaches

Then- junior attacker Nicole Lacey dodges two Temple defenders last season. Hatchet File Photo

The women’s lacrosse team will be joined by two new assistant coaches next season, adding Kristy Black and Bria Eulitt after one of the program’s most successful seasons to date.

Their hires are part of the improvements designated by the recently completed athletics review, which called for an uptick in budgets and support allotted to the University’s 23 intercollegiate sports teams.

Black spent the past four years as a member of the Maryland lacrosse team, helping the Terrapins to four straight ACC titles, an NCAA Division I national title in 2010 and three consecutive NCAA Final Four appearances. She’s also worked as a counselor at summer lacrosse camps since 2005, and established the DI All-Star Camp for girls aged 5-14in 2008.

At Maryland, Black was a two-year starter and a captain her senior season. She scored 100 goals and added 51 assists and 80 draw controls during her tenure with the team.

“I am honored to join the George Washington family and appreciate the opportunity [head coach] Tara [Hannaford] and the athletics department have provided me,” Black said. “As a player, I was privileged enough to be part of a national championship team, and I know the amount of dedication and hard work that it takes on and off the field to get there. Throughout my lacrosse career, I have been fortunate to have played for not only excellent coaches, but individuals who had outstanding character and my goal is to emulate these characteristics at George Washington.”

Eulitt joins the Colonials after a season as an assistant coach at A-10 rival Richmond, a season where the team earned a 10-8 overall record and a berth in the league’s title game. In the summer of 2010, Eulitt was the head coach of the Wilderness Lacrosse Club in Adelaide, South Australia, as well as playing for the Wilderness Women’s Lacrosse Club.

Eulitt graduated from Richmond, where she was a four-year starter, a two-year captain and earned recognition on the A-10 all-rookie team after her freshman year, the league first team after her junior season and second team after her senior year.

“I am thrilled to be a part of the GW lacrosse family and I am really looking forward to working with this coaching staff and our student-athletes,” Eulitt said. “I am grateful for the opportunity to work with the Colonials’ program and to promote such an outstanding university. My lacrosse career has been influenced by many great coaches, players and experiences, both locally and internationally. These experiences have given me the skills and knowledge that I hope to bring to GW, so the student-athletes can be successful on and off the field.”

The Colonials went 10-7 last season, securing a spot in the A-10 tournament for the first time since 2009 and making a run to the semifinals before falling to top-seeded Massachusetts.

“I am excited to welcome Bria and Kristy to the GW lacrosse family as they have achieved an incredible amount of success during their playing careers,” Hannaford said. “Their experience of winning championships will be invaluable to our program, and their energy and passion for the game of lacrosse will have a tremendous impact on our student-athletes. I am looking forward to building upon the success of our 2012 season with Bria and Kristy.”