Nemanja Mikic named a member of the NABC Honors Court

Nemanja Mikic maneuvers his way around three Charlotte defenders last season. | Hatchet File Photo

Junior forward Nemanja Mikic is a member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches Honors Court, an award that recognizes collegiate basketball players who excelled academically during the season.

Mikic is one of six from the Atlantic 10 Conference to be given the award, joining 178 Division I players and 467 recipients nationwide, across all three NCAA divisions. The forward was named to the A-10 All-Academic Team at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season, the 12th Colonial to earn that honor since 1991.

Head men’s basketball coach Mike Lonergan, a NABC member, nominated Mikic for the award.

“It is nice to see Nemanja recognized for his hard work in the classroom,” Lonergan said in a statement. “He is a true student-athlete and a first-class representative of George Washington on and off the court.”

Mikic’s made the A-10 Commissioner’s Honor Roll, with a GPA of at least 3.5, three of his four semesters at GW. He was also a member of the GW Athletics Academic Dean’s List in February.

As a sophomore last season, Mikic averaged 7.6 points and 24.5 minutes per game, while shooting a team-best 51 three pointers in 31 games. He also worked to improve his defensive game and expand his play past the long-range shooting he excelled at as a freshman.

In order to be named to the Honors Court, a player must meet four areas of criteria – be a junior or senior and a varsity player, own a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher, have matriculated at least one year at their current institution and be a member of an NCAA institution.