Chelisa Painter to transfer from women’s basketball team

Sophomore forward Chelisa Painter cheers as the Colonials pull ahead of Old Dominion during a game in the Smith Center earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo.

Updated 1:01 p.m.

Chelisa Painter is departing the Colonials, leaving to join Old Dominion’s women’s basketball team in a move largely prompted by the firing of former GW head coach Mike Bozeman.

The New York Daily News reports that the 6-foot-1 forward, who was sidelined by a high ankle sprain for parts of last season, “decided to transfer after Bozeman’s contract was not renewed.” Last season, Painter averaged 4 points and 3.8 rebounds in 14.9 minutes per game for the Colonials.

“Chelisa Painter will not be returning to the women’s basketball program next season,” newly hired women’s basketball coach Jonathan Tsipis said. “We thank Chelisa for her contributions to the program and wish Chelisa nothing but the best in her future both on the basketball court and off.”

The head coach of the Old Dominion women’s basketball team, Karen Barefoot, told the Daily News that she will look to Painter to provide a solid presence in the post for the Lady Monarchs. Painter will not be eligible to take the court with her new team until the 2014-15 season, but has two years of eligibility remaining.

“Going into this class, we were really looking for post players,” Barefoot told the Daily News. “She can handle the ball, but the post is her position. She has good moves on the low block and in the high post. Rebounding is her thing.”

Upon her arrival at GW, Painter was ranked the 12th best high school power forward in the ESPNU HoopGurlz Top 100 rankings for her recruiting class, and was a McDonald’s All-American nominee as a senior in high school after averaging 14.9 points and 12 rebounds that season.