GW appoints interim head librarian

Updated June 29, 2012 at 12:22 p.m.

The University’s deputy librarian will take over as the interim head of the library system starting Sept. 1.

Andrea Stewart, a two-time alumna, will replace long-serving University Librarian Jack Siggins when he retires in August. She will remain in the post until a new librarian is hired.

As deputy librarian, Stewart was “responsible for GW Libraries’ planning and operations,” according to a news release Thursday.

Upon taking the helm of the University’s libraries, Stewart will also co-steer the Gelman Library construction project with  Siggins, who is staying on as an adviser for the renovation after retiring. The revamp, which will relocate the building’s entrance to Kogan Plaza, is slated to start this summer.

When asked about her priorities for the upcoming year, Stewart said in an email Friday that she plans to “work with library staff to bring our strategic plan into alignment with the new university strategic plan.”

“I also plan to continue improving the communication and collaborative culture of the Libraries which supports the University’s and Libraries’ mission,” she added.

A national search for the next university librarian will be launched “in the coming months,” University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said Friday.