Piecing Together: Campus Construction

School of Public Health and Health Services

Location:
New Hampshire Avenue and 24th Street
Estimated completion:
late 2013, opens in spring 2014
The new School of Public Health and Health Services building will house its seven departments under one roof for the first time. At $75 million, it will cover more than 115,000 square feet and increase the school’s class availability for about 900 students. Public health classes are currently held in Ross Hall, the School of Medicine and Health Sciences building.

GW Museum

Location: 21st and G streets
Estimated completion: 2014
Construction on the GW Museum, which will weave a partnership with the cross-town Textile Museum and feature D.C. artifacts, will begin late this summer. The $22 million project will run out of the Woodhull House, formerly the University Police Department headquarters.

Law Learning Center and parking garage

Location: 2000 block of G Street
Estimated completion: 2013
The $31 million project will create a floor of space for the GW Law School and four underground floors of parking. A total of 450 parking spaces will help offset spots lost after the University Parking Garage was torn down to make way for the Science and Engineering Hall. Composed of glass walls, metal panes and a large entrance canopy, it will also include a green roof, skylights and storm water-runoff sites.

Science and Engineering Hall

Location: 22nd and H streets
Estimated completion: 2014, opens in 2015
At $275 million, the new Science and Engineering Hall marks the most expensive construction project in GW history. The 480,000 square-foot research building will house courses from the School of Engineering and Applied Science and the Columbian College of Art and Sciences. Equipped with state-of-the-art technology, it aims to elevate interdisciplinary research and attract high-quality faculty and students. The building’s groundbreaking took place in October 2011, a year after the Board of Trustees approved the project.

The Marriott Courtyard Hotel

Location: 20th and E streets
Estimated completion: late 2012
After taking the place of a parking garage, the $28 million hotel will hold nine levels with 148 guest rooms. The hotel, which will share a block with three residence halls, including 1959 E Street, Thurston Hall and Mitchell Hall, and an academic building, faced flak from Foggy Bottom neighbors as well as students in the fall of 2010 for noisy construction, which was said to have created “unlivable” conditions.