Two Colonials named to academic first team

Philip Graeter, swimming
Junior Philip Graeter swims his leg of the butterfly relay during a dual meet against Bucknell in the Smith Center pool last year. File photo

Men’s swimming junior Phillip Graeter and men’s water polo junior Cameron Illes are both members of the CoSIDA/Capital One Academic All-District II At-Large First Team, making them eligible for national Academic All-America honors in the at-large category.

To be nominated for the first team, a student-athlete must be a starter or important reserve, maintain at least a 3.30 GPA, and have completed at least one full year at their institution and participated in at least 50 percent of their team’s competitions.

Graeter boasts the highest GPA on the men’s swimming team with a 3.89 cumulative average. He picked up a spot on the GW Athletics Academic Dean’s List in February, after earning a 4.0 in the fall semester, and was one of just two Colonials to be named to this year’s Atlantic 10 All-Academic Team. Graeter backed up his academic performance with strong showings in the pool, earning four top-three finishes and breaking two school records at the 2012 A-10 Championships. He was also undefeated in the Smith Center pool for the 2011-2012 season.

Illes owns a 3.92 cumulative GPA and totaled 266 blocks this season, the fourth-most in a single season in program history. A three-year starter at goalkeeper, Illes ranks third all-time at GW with 785 career blocks and holds three of the top five single-season block totals in program history. He is a three-time recipient of All-Academic Team Outstanding Status from the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches, with a 3.71 or above GPA, and he earned consecutive perfect 4.0 GPAs in spring 2010 and fall 2011.