What to do in D.C.

Explore sides of the District with your family that you never had time to visit during your years at GW.

National Gallery of Art

4th St. and Constitution Ave. NW
Pop into the free National Gallery of Art while exploring the National Mall before graduation on Sunday. Browse the permanent collection, featuring Small French Paintings and Henri Matisse Cutouts installations, or check out temporary exhibitions like “I Spy: Photography and the Theater of the Street,” featuring street photography by various artists from 1938 to 2010. As the weather warms up, visit the outdoor sculpture garden.

DC by Foot

1740 18th St. #304 NW
DC by Foot offers the only free tip-based walking tours of the District. Learn more about the nation’s capital through informational tours of the Pentagon, National Mall, Arlington Cemetery and more. Private tours are also available.

Media Credit: Ashley Lucas | Contributing Photo Editor
Old Post Office Pavilion

Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens

3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway
Get a dose of U.S. history and learn about the University’s namesake with a visit to George Washington’s Mount Vernon estate, America’s most popular historic home. Open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during summer, the 500-acre estate features gardens and museum galleries with interactive exhibits and the Washingtons’ personal artifacts. For tickets and directions, visit mountvernon.org.

Rock Creek Park

5200 Glover Rd. NW
Sneak away from the city lights and buildings to experience some natural lights and sights at Rock Creek Park. Take a guided nature walk or explore the planetarium – the only one operated by the National Park Service. At Rock Creek Park, visitors can stargaze or go on a moonlit hike. Pick up free planetarium tickets at the information desk in the park’s Nature Center.

Kennedy Center

2700 F St. NW
Spend an evening out at the theater for free as part of the Kennedy Center’s Performing Arts for Everyone initiative. A different performance takes to the Millennium Stage every day at 6 p.m. Visit kennedy-center.org/programs to browse free shows.

Tidal Basin Paddle Boats

1501 Maine Ave. SW
Take in some sun and let off some steam with a family paddle boat ride down the Potomac River. Group reservations are available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is $12 hourly for a two-person boat and $19 per hour for a four-person boat. Reservations can be made online.

Old Post Office Pavilion

1100 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
For a breathtaking aerial, 360-degree view of the District, take the elevator to the top of Old Post Office Pavilion’s 315-foot clock tower. Tours of the tower – which houses the official U.S. Bells of Congress – are offered daily. It is open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday 10 to 6 p.m. during summer.