“War” selected as freshman summer read

Sebastian Junger's "War," published in 2010, is this year's freshman summer reading pick. Photo used under the Creative Commons License

Sebastian Junger’s “War” was chosen as the freshman reading program’s summer selection Thursday.

“War,” published in 2010, draws from Junger’s time embedded with an Army platoon in Afghanistan, which he covered for Vanity Fair.

Senior Assistant Dean of Students Rebecca Sawyer said the book fits with “larger university priorities as it relates to veterans, global citizenship, and opens up a dialogue about women in combat.”

“Each of the schools thought there was a natural tie-in to a piece of their academic curriculum so they could help create a seamless transition from the summer reading program to in-classroom discussions in the fall,” she said.

Faculty, students and staff across the University selected the book. As in previous years, after reading “War,” students will have the option of submitting an essay to the First Chapter program contest.

Junger’s experiences were also the basis for the critically acclaimed documentary “Restrepo,” which received a prize for best documentary at the Sundance Film Festival in 2010 and was nominated for an Academy Award in Best Documentary Feature in 2011.