Softball team racks up two weekend wins

From strong pitching performances to an offensive onslaught, the Colonials dominated on both sides of the ball against St. Bonaventure Saturday.

With the Atlantic 10 championship fast approaching, GW (21-27, 10-8 A-10) easily defeated St. Bonaventure (17-21, 6-10), 17-0 and 9-0 in the afternoon doubleheader. The team’s two commanding victories saw the entire roster step up its effort, head coach Stacey Schramm said, for a collective increase in production.

In addition to compiling 26 runs over 12 innings, the squad also registered 30 hits. The key for GW’s offense Saturday was its patience at the plate, Schramm said, each hitter waiting for the right pitch before lining up a hit.

“Just all the way around, it was a really strong offensive effort. And it came from our leadoff to our number nine hitter,” Schramm said. “They were very disciplined at the plate, waiting for their pitch.”

Junior Tara Fogarty went 5-for-7 with a double, three RBIs and two runs scored. Fellow junior Autumn Taylor also had an impressive day at the plate, going 5-for-8 with a double, a home run, four RBIs and four runs scored. Senior Lauren Wilson added two doubles and a home run, lacing four hits and driving in five runs while scoring three times. The key to GW’s success at the plate is the extra time the entire team puts in at practice, Schramm said.

“Lauren has just been amazing. We named her captain a few weeks into the season just because of all the work she puts in,” Schramm said. “It’s just that these kids put in so much work. They come in extra.”

Senior pitcher Kara Clauss dominated the Bonnies from the start of the first contest, throwing a complete game and only allowing four hits and two walks while striking out four. It was her first game back after a week off to nurse a shin injury and was Clauss’ fifth shutout of the season.

“It was nice to see her come back and she just dominated them,” Schramm said.

The Colonials crossed the plate less in the second game of the afternoon, but still remained solidly in control of the contest. Senior pitcher Heidi Penna took to the mound, throwing a complete game and only yielding two hits and one walk, while striking out six.

GW’s pitchers were solidly backed up by the team’s offensive production Saturday. Wilson and Taylor’s homers were each their 10th of the year, tying the 2005 single-season program record. They also brought the team’s home run season total to 38, matching the school record set in 2007.

“Kids are walking in my office at ten in the morning grabbing our hitting coach. It’s really paid off,” Schramm said. “I mean clearly, they’re just hitting the crap out of the ball.”

The Colonials have a weeklong breather before concluding their regular season May 5 with a doubleheader at A-10 foe Saint Louis.

GW has won six of its last seven outings and is currently in position to capture the program’s second-ever A-10 tournament berth. It’s a milestone Schramm said her roster could easily attain.

“They just know how to win and they don’t settle for anything less,” Schramm said.