Restaurant Review: Wicked Waffle 1712 I St., NW

The first thing that jumps out while walking into Wicked Waffle is the sign that reads, “No butter. No syrup.”

For those of us who smother our breakfast in dairy and maple syrup, the philosophy at Wicked Waffle is a bit different. Rather than serving food in traditional breakfast fashion, this shop makes waffles suitable for any time of day, offering breakfast waffle sandwiches until 11 a.m. and a lengthy list of lunch options.

When I walked into the shop, apprehensive about the concept, I was greeted by orange walls, checkered ceilings and friendly employees. The shop prides itself on the healthiness of its waffles – only 235 calories each – along with their freshness and premium quality ingredients.

I chose the natural smoked turkey and French Brie waffle sandwich ($8) and a large soup ($4.99).

One particularly helpful employee allowed me to sample the four varieties of soup while my sandwich was prepared. I decided on the puréed wild mushroom with fresh herbs, which had a strong, yet pleasing mushroom flavor and a wholesome consistency.

Meals are served in takeout boxes, as the shop’s limited seating is suited for on-the-go eating, but my friends and I found a spot outside on the orange and black cubes that serve as tables. While these substitutes for proper furniture worked for college kids, I have trouble imagining more mature clientele being comfortable.

Setting our woes aside, my friends and I were eager to take our first bites. My turkey and Brie sandwich came with sweet maple mustard, adding a bit of spice to the standard combination of ingredients.

Surprisingly, the waffles did not add much to the meal. I almost did not notice that my favorite breakfast dish replaced the bread. The waffles themselves were crispy and tasty, adding a light and crunchy texture to an otherwise average sandwich, but the meat and cheese flavors overwhelmed the delicate treat.

The waffle twist was a more positive addition to the $4.95 bacon, egg and cheese waffle sandwich. Perhaps it was its nature as breakfast food, but this combination did a better job of incorporating the waffle flavor with the rest of the ingredients.

Naturally, a waffle dessert followed our waffle lunch. Selections from the Sweet Treats menu are served all day and are sure to satisfy even the strongest sweet tooth.

A simple, classic option is the sweet waffle with melted chocolate and powdered sugar ($4.75). More complex selections are also available, including a waffle topped with strawberries or bananas, chocolate sauce and your choice of caramel cream or whipped cream ($6.95).

Wicked Waffle’s unique sandwiches might not blow visitors out of the water, but their cute idea puts a satisfying spin on the breakfast treat so many love.