D.C. Water to replace aging pipeline on H Street

The D.C. Water and Sewage Authority will replace a water pipeline in June that cuts through H Street, disrupting one of the most heavily trafficked streets on the Foggy Bottom Campus for a projected six months.

The project, part of a citywide initiative to replace aging water mains and improve water quality, will excavate a pipe that runs on H Street from 19th to 24th streets. It is slated for completion in December.

The average age of water mains across the District is 77 years old, Emanuel Briggs, a construction outreach coordinator for the water authority, said.

“Due to this fact, DC Water has implemented an aggressive water main replacement program that looks to systematically replace one percent [of] water mains throughout the District per year,” Briggs said in an e-mail. “This is done to improve water quality and system reliability, and also to ensure adequate flows throughout the system.”

Briggs said at least one lane on H Street would remain open at all times.

Construction from the Science and Engineering Hall has already blocked off part of H Street over the last year.

Briggs said D.C. Water contractors will work with Clark Construction, the company overseeing the Science and Engineering Hall project, to maintain traffic flow.

The water authority will also shut down service to various campus buildings during the installation process for the new H Street water main, he said, but the University will be notified of any disruptions 48 hours in advance and service will be restored within two to four hours.

University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said GW plans to notify students of shutoffs via e-mail notifications and building signs.

“We will work closely with district officials to mitigate impacts to the campus community and will provide information to our populations about the work being performed,” Sherrard said.