Alumnus to open local specialty wine store

An artisanal wine and spirits shop plans to open its doors in Foggy Bottom this September.

The specialty liquor store, Arrowine, will go before the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration for a hearing May 29 for a license to open at 22nd and K streets, owner and alumnus Doug Rosen said.

The store would be a sister site for its original Arlington, Va. location, which Rosen bought 12 years ago after having worked at the store since he was a sophomore at GW in 1977.

Rosen said he was attracted to the location because of his relationship with the University. His wife works in the communications and marketing office at the School of Public Health and Health Services, and his son plans to attend GW this fall.

“I look forward to coming back home,” Rosen said.

Prices would range from $15 to $30 per bottle, and Rosen plans to keep Arrowine open Mondays through Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The store will not offer mass-produced wines, favoring those that are hand-harvested and organically grown.

“You’re not going to find these wines at supermarkets,” Rosen said.

ABRA Director Fred Moosally did not return a request for comment on the establishment’s liquor license approval process.

At its April 18 meeting, the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission – a local government body that considers the impact of community issues like liquor licenses, noise and safety on residential life – voted unanimously to draft a resolution in support of the upscale store’s liquor license application. The group typically does not draft resolutions in for or against liquor licenses.

“We very rarely support alcohol establishments,” commissioner Asher Corson said. “This looks like a fantastic operation.”