Water main break near City Hall shuts down block

A pedestrian leaps across the water in an attempt to cross I Street at New Hampshire Avenue. Metropolitan Police officers closed down 24th Street between K Street and New Hampshire Avenue as water surged down the street southward. Francis Rivera | Assistant Photo Editor

A water main break near City Hall caused a river of water to flow down 24th Street on Saturday but an official with the D.C. Water and Sewer Authority said the break would likely do little damage to the street or surrounding buildings.

The Metropolitan Police Department shut down 24th Street between I and K streets at about 5 p.m. after the water main break spilled drinking water onto the street.

D.C. Water officials arrived at about 7:15 p.m. and the flooding ended by 8 p.m.

One official from D.C. Water said the water main below City Hall was likely the one that broke but he added that the other two water mains in the area would be inspected.

Some units in the Jefferson House apartments, also along 24th Street, did not have running water because of the water main break, but an official from D.C. Water said it should be restored with 24 hours.

Cars parked on the block started being towed away around 7 p.m. in case the street incurred any structural damage. The block will remain closed for the night.

– Monica Mehta, Gabriel Muller and Francis Rivera contributed to this report.