What We’re Listening To

Kanye West. Photo courtesy of Shahril Affandi under the Creative Commons License

Hatchet reporter Priyanka Pardasani shares her latest musical obsessions.

Way Too Cold
Kanye West feat. DJ Khaled

Kanye West collaborated with Young Money’s DJ Khaled for this piping hot track. West’s music is always catchy but this song is definitely one you won’t be able to get out of your head. Originally titled “Theraflu,” the single was the subject of controversy when the cold relief company objected to the use of the brand in the song’s title. Now appropriately renamed, the single brings egotistical lyrics and a pumped-up beat to match.

What Makes You Beautiful
One Direction

Boy bands seem to be creeping back into the mainstream radio scene, and this group of young performers is one of the most recent examples of this phenomenon. One Direction has the adorable innocence and angelic voices that ‘N Sync and Backstreet Boys fans are sure to love. You’ve probably heard the band’s hit single, “What Makes You Beautiful,” blasting from your neighbors’ dorm rooms. The lyrics are not the most penetrating or creative, but this song’s infectious hook is undeniable. This song is sure to bring you back to the days of your first crush.

Lick It
Kaskade feat. Skrillex (Alex Kenji Remix)

Alex Kenji, the Italian DJ who worked with Starkillers and Nadia Ali on the 2011 hit, “Pressure,” recently released a remix of “Lick It” by Kaskade and Skrillex. Kenji’s added beats and flavor make this song more of a progressive house track. The already upbeat song is transformed into the ultimate dance tune with Kenji’s unrivaled artistic vision. If you’re a fan of the intense beats of techno artists like Daft Punk, this song is for you.