Shoppers savor designer fashions for an affordable price

Judith Leiber clutches and designer jewelry decorated the tables at Wink, where guests got a sneak peak of Rent the Runway's spring collection. Morgan Viehman | Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Morgan Viehman.

Shoppers and fashion enthusiasts enjoyed a taste of the upscale Thursday at Wink in Georgetown.

“I’ve never touched one!” sophomore Alexandra Bonvouloir said, as she clung to a silk charmeuse Proenza Schouler dress on the rack.

The dress, which would have normally cost upward of $1,700, can now be rented for $225.

Rent The Runway, an online rental service for designer fashion at budget prices, hosted an evening of cocktails and springtime fashion at the Georgetown boutique.

Wink owner Paige Speyer welcomed the fashion enterprise to D.C. by providing a one-night-only shopping experience for guests to preview and purchase both Wink and Rent The Runway spring collections.

The event featured designer labels including Versace Collection, Peter Som, Narciso Rodriguez, Christian Cota and Moschino, and showcased Chanel accessories and jewel-encrusted handbags by Judith Leiber.

“It’s about women experimenting with fashion,” said Rent The Runway CEO and co-founder Jennifer Hyman. “We want to encourage them to love and appreciate designer fashion.”

Founded by Hyman and Harvard Business School classmate Jennifer Fleiss in 2009, Rent the Runway delivers over 150 designer labels to shoppers’ doorsteps for up to 90 percent off the retail price. The site provides added security to shoppers, allowing fashion-lovers to rent their favorite dress in two sizes to guarantee fit.

This post was updated on April 20, 2012 to reflect the following:
The Hatchet misspelled the name of Narciso Rodriguez.