City to repair broken sidewalks in Foggy Bottom

The city is repairing deteriorating sidewalks across Foggy Bottom, mitigating a concern local residents have called hazardous for years.

The District Department of Transportation will repair the sidewalks within fiscal year 2012 in five locations across the Foggy Bottom and West End area and in five additional proposed sites, John Lisle, the agency’s spokesman, said.

Sidewalk repair sites near campus include Washington Circle and K Street, 22nd Street between L and K streets, 24th and K streets, M and 23rd streets and 24th Street. The repair process layers fresh cement underneath the sidewalk surface before replacing loose or missing bricks, depending on the severity of the deterioration, Lisle said. He declined to provide the cost of conducting repairs.

“We are doing a lot of sidewalk repairs currently to address issues we have identified or that have been submitted by residents,” Lisle said. “Some are brick, but we’re also repairing sidewalks made of concrete and other surfaces.”

Neighbors have cited broken and uneven sidewalks as a safety concern, labeling conditions as especially dangerous during bad weather and in the evenings.

“It’s been a topic of discussion at so many of our meetings that there’s definitely a strong and continuing request to focus on repair here,” Rebecca Coder, vice chair of the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission, said. “It never ceases to amaze me how much we hear about and talk about the brick sidewalks.”

The ANC is the area’s top advocacy group and advises city agencies on matters relating to safety, traffic and street improvements.