Local designers take center stage at Fashion District

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Enni Aigbomian.

Models Audrey Cotton, left, and Chelsea Connestro pose Thursday night in Kelly Tang designs at ReadysetDC's fifth Fashion District at the Powerhouse warehouse along the C&O canal in Georgetown. Elise Apelian | Hatchet Staff Photographer

The Powerhouse in Georgetown was abuzz with local fashion designers showcasing their work Thursday, as the historic warehouse played host to the Fashion District event.

Hosted by the arts and culture blog ReadysetDC, the event is a way for designers, buyers and other fashion enthusiasts in the D.C. area to network and reach a larger client base.

“Readyset is a strong brand. Having them behind you shows you’re a fashion powerhouse and local business to be watched,” said Elise Peterson, manager of the Columbia Heights boutique It’s Vintage Darling.

The event featured a variety of designers with their own individual displays, where models showcased specialty products ranging from dresses to jewelry and accessories. The night included stage presentations and shows from local designers such as Hugh & Crye, Kelly Tang, Artaya, Ginger Root Design, Read’s Clothing Project, Aliceanna and Accoutre.

Among the vendors was Erin Yogasundram, a junior who runs an online boutique called ShopJeen.com.

Yogasundram began writing a fashion blog two years ago and opened her online boutique in December. She works with designers who hand-make their merchandise along with big names like Vanessa Mooney, Luv Aj and Bing Bang by Anna Sheffield to sell their merchandise on her website.

“In-person events generate four times the sales of online boutiques in a single day, so I was happy to take part in such a well-curated event with my core demographic,” Yogasundram said.

Yogasundram said the event was an opportunity for her form connections with other vendors with whom she hopes to work in the future.

“I met a lot of fantastic people from the area,” she said. “Everyone was 21 or older so it was nice to tell my story, and people seemed really interested in hearing it.”

Yogasundram plans to take a leave of absence from GW at the end of the semester and take her business to New York City, where she is from originally. She also plans to open a shop in D.C. this year.