Student Association Senate-elect fills next year’s committees

Student Association Executive Vice President-elect Abby Bergren counts votes for next year's committee appointments with interim Chief of Staff Phil Gardner. Michael Boosalis | Hatchet Photographer

The Student Association Senate-elect selected its committee leadership at its first meeting Monday.

The incoming senators spent about an hour and a half assigning top leadership spots and doling out committee appointments for each senator.

In the lengthy appointment process, Alex Mizenko, SPHHS-U, Elizabeth Kennedy, U-At-Large, Alicia Rose, ESIA-U, and Michael Amesquita, GSEHD-G, were selected as chairs of the finance, student life, academic affairs and leadership committees, respectively.

Mizenko, Rose and Amesquita were the sole appointments for their positions, but Kennedy narrowly edged ahead of Anthony Bucci, CCAS-U, in a 16 to 14 vote.

Next year’s finance committee has equal representation of undergraduate to graduate students, compared to this year graduate-heavy board, which drew criticism for focusing on the graduate school populations.

Mizenko, the only returning undergraduate student to the finance committee and previous vice-chair of the group, said he will promote transparency in the allocations process –  a hot campaign issue during SA elections this year.

“There shouldn’t be any illusions of someone who sits in an office and can never be talked to. I want to be really proactive in getting to know student org leaders,” Mizenko said.

This year’s SA Senate will meet for the last time April 16 before the new senators officially assume their roles May 4.

– Kaya Yurieff contributed to this report