Women’s lacrosse team earns first A-10 victory in overtime

hilary quinn, lacrosse, lax
Senior midfielder Hilary Quinn takes it down the field earlier this season. | Hatchet File Photo

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Mary Ellen McIntire

GW continued its victory streak with a win over Saint Joseph’s Friday but maintaining a perfect record at home didn’t come easily.

Senior Megan Seidman netted the Colonials’ first goal early in the game but the team did not score again until well into the second half, when they were behind the Hawks by six points. Then, senior Casey Disharoon scored, marking the first of a series of goals that pulled GW even with Saint Joseph’s.

The first game of A-10 play for the Colonials ultimately went into overtime, when senior Nicole Lacey scored a goal off of a pass from senior Sarah Phillips with five seconds left in the period to beat the Hawks 10-9.

“It’s an exciting way to win. I think we would’ve liked to take care of it a little earlier, but we’ll take that,” head coach Tara Hannaford said. “I’m so proud of how hard these girls fought to get the ball and win.”

The Hawks controlled the game for most of the first half, with the Colonials forced to play aggressive defense. The team was prepared for that, though, Hannaford said but GW wasn’t ready for how many draw controls the Hawks won.

As the second half opened, a seven-goal streak from Saint Joseph’s found the Colonials in a 7-1 hole early in the half. The Hawks maintained control of the ball for much of the first 10 minutes, but Disharoon’s unassisted goal sparked a GW rally. In the final 15 minutes of the second half, the Colonials scored seven goals, while only giving up one, ending the half with the game tied at eight. In the latter part of regulation, the dominating momentum had clearly shifted to the Colonials.

“We were getting the draw, and I think that put a lot of energy in the team,” Hannaford said.

The Colonials maintained their offensive momentum heading into the first overtime period. The Colonials held the ball for most of the three minutes, but the Hawks’ goalie blocked all shots against her.

In the second three- minute period, Lacey and Phillips both missed free position shots from the eight-meter arc. But then freshman Addi Bolin forced a Hawks turnover, and the Colonials held onto the ball until Phillips took possession sending it to Lacey, who quickly placed the ball in the net.

“In the end, we all came together and really were able to connect passes, and our shooting improved a lot in the second half,” Lacey said.

The Colonials look to take the momentum they gained against the Hawks and carry it into their game on Sunday against A-10 rival Massachusetts, who is ranked 19th nationally.

“We need to control possession of the game for sure against UMass,” Hannaford said. “And that’s going to be the biggest thing.”