Profile on Style

Profile on Style is a weekly post that explores the motivations behind GW’s fashion trends. We’ll show you the most interesting aspects of GW style, and then try to make some sense of it all. Keep your eyes open for a reporter and photographer walking around because you might become the latest trendsetter.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Samantha Hatton.

The past week has brought D.C. some beautiful weather and blooming cherry blossoms. Here are a few GW students who embraced the springtime in style:

Meghna Fogla. Elise Apelian | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Name: Meghna Fogla
Year: 2015
Major: Finance and international business
Hometown: Long Island, N.Y.
Inspired by: Ella Moss, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Vogue India
Outfit: Dress, Bloomingdales; belt, J.Crew; shoes, Tory Burch; sunglasses, Ray-Ban; bag, Kate Spade

A sundress is the perfect way to create a simple, feminine look. Freshman Meghna Fogla caught our attention with her orange and white print sundress, which she accented with a belt from J.Crew. The jewel-tone blue of the belt popped against the orange of the dress. To compliment the belt, Fogla chose a pair of green and blue Tory Burch flats. Her black accessories, including a Kate Spade bag and Ray-Ban sunglasses, top off her look.

Rebekah Gibson. Elise Apelian | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Name: Rebekah Gibson
Year: 2013
Major: Speech and hearing sciences
Hometown: Queens, N.Y.
Inspired by: Rihanna
Outfit: Shoes, Aldo; shirt, Nasty Gal; bracelet, Michael Kors; sunglasses, Aldo; earrings, Aldo

When the temperatures break into the 80s, chiffon is the perfect fabric to help you stay cool. Junior Rebekah Gibson wore a sheer chiffon button down over a bandeau. The shirt featured three pastel colors – coral, mint and purple – that are prevalent in this year’s spring fashion. Keeping her look campus casual, Gibson sported a pair of dark jean shorts. Her Aldo flats were studded jellies, giving a fun edge to her look.

Colleen Fitzsimmons. Elise Apelian | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Name: Colleen Fitzsimmons
Year: 2012
Major: American studies
Hometown: St. Louis, Mo.
Inspired by: Alexa Chung
Outfit: Skirt, Madewell; shoes, J.Crew; shirt, Madewell; sunglasses, Target

Colleen Fitzsimmons took on a fun print in neutral colors with a pleated chiffon skirt from Madewell. She wore a blue T-shirt simple enough to provide her look with a bit of color, without competing with the polka dots and stripes on her skirt. With her round-rimmed sunglasses to finish off the outfit, Fitzsimmons’ look emanated a simple, effortless, casual-chic style.