Campus prepares for Clinton Global Initiative University

Comedian Jon Stewart will speak Saturday to 1,200 students from around the world at the Clinton Global Initiative University conference in Foggy Bottom in March. Photo courtesy of Comedy Central

The Foggy Bottom Campus will face heavier security and limited parking as GW plays hosts to politicians, entrepreneurs and entertainers this weekend at the Clinton Global Initiative University.

A Friday night roundtable discussion on the importance of public service featuring former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and musician Usher will be held in the Smith Center, restricting parking on the blocks that line G and F streets next to the arena.

Besides the students participating in the conference, the University notified Tuesday about 1,000 students from the general student population that they nabbed tickets to the event.

Clinton Global Initiative University would not disclose specifics about what security would be on hand to handle visitors and high-profile speakers. University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said there will be “a variety of security will be on campus throughout the weekend.”

Parking will also be restricted Thursday on the south side of the Smith Center, which will serve production trucks and media, Sherrard said.

When Twitter co-founder Biz Stone, comedian Jon Stewart and Clinton speak Saturday at Lisner Auditorium, parking will also be limited around the building.

Students worldwide earned seats at the conference after pitching ideas in January to address global or community-based problems. Projects from students at GW range from sustainable bicycles made of bamboo to homeless food delivery.

All other events, which will also feature Chelsea Clinton and a slate of entrepreneurs and writers, are closed to the public.

The third and fourth floors of the Lerner Health and Wellness Center will be closed all day Friday and Saturday because of panel discussions there.

The University also advised students to keep GWorlds on them throughout the weekend.