Marissa Fretes: A fresh chance to explore the District

Wait, who’s Adam Morgan?

As a freshman, I never find myself with enough time to leave campus borders. I’m more concerned with going to class, meeting friends, doing schoolwork and, hopefully, getting enough sleep.

Freshman year is a time when we’re the most interested – and rightfully so – with college student life, and trying not to buckle under the newfound pressure. Not to mention, the cold of the D.C. winter can make it difficult to want to go anywhere past Funger Hall.

But now the spring weather is here.

Freshmen: We’ve adjusted to life as college students, made our friends and become acquainted with campus. It’s time to use the warm weather as an incentive to leave Foggy Bottom and explore everything that makes the city great.

D.C., after all, has a lot to offer in terms of the variety of food and restaurants, the vast shopping opportunities, the vibrant cultures and languages in each of its neighborhoods and the history that could have unfolded just minutes away. Each neighborhood in D.C. has its own personality, and we’re only doing a disservice to ourselves if we don’t take the initiative to explore them. After all, we’re here for an education, and we can receive some of that simply by experiencing new perspectives and new places.

The borders of the University don’t have to end at Georgetown and the monuments. There are more cherry blossoms than just the ones around the Jefferson Memorial.

So hop on the Metro, and go somewhere on the Red or Green lines. Take a walk somewhere you’ve always wanted to go. Try a new cuisine, and go to a museum that sounds engaging.

The University prides itself on the fact that the city and the campus are one and the same. It’s up to us make that true.

So, what are you waiting for? The city is calling.

Marissa Fretes, a freshman majoring in English, is a Hatchet columnist.