Spring break sports round-up

This post was written by Hatchet staff writers Nick Ong and Brennan Murray.

While the rest of campus was on spring break, many Colonials continued competition through the week. Here’s a look at how they fared:

Senior Kara Clauss prepares to send the ball away earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo

Softball

March 9: To start the War Eagle Classic at Auburn, the Colonials shut out Presbyterian in the first game of their doubleheader, winning 5-0. Senior pitcher Kara Clauss let up only two hits and struck out nine batters in seven innings of work. In the nightcap, GW fell to host No. 20 Auburn by a score of 3-0.

March 10: Despite a sixth inning rally that tied the game at two runs apiece, the Colonials eventually dropped their third game of the week to Louisiana Tech by a final score of 4-2.

March 11: The Colonials recorded their third consecutive loss on the final day of the Classic, falling to Evansville 11-6.

March 13: Returning to GW, the Colonials picked up two victories in their doubleheader against Mount St. Mary’s, winning both the day and night games 3-0 and 5-4, respectively.

March 16: GW opened the James Madison Invitational by dropping both games of the day’s doubleheader, first losing an 8-5 game against Pittsburgh and then losing a closer 5-4 duel against host James Madison.

March 17: In their second doubleheader in two days, the Colonials split the games, first falling to Fordham 4-0 and then defeating James Madison 4-2 later in the day.

March 18: Despite a seven-run first inning, GW ended the week with a 9-7 loss at the hands of Pittsburgh. For their respective performances over the weekend, freshman infielder Victoria Valos and sophomore outfielder Chelsea Lenhart were named to the All-Tournament Team.

Gymnastics

March 11: With a score of 191.650, the Colonials finished third in a tri-meet against Kentucky and Ball State. GW was only slightly edged by both teams, falling short of second-place Ball State by just .075 points.

March 16: GW took second place in Towson’s quad meet, finishing ahead of Yale, tying Penn, and falling short to the host Tigers by a score of 194.800 to 192.550

March 18: Rounding out their regular season, the Colonials recorded their season-high point total (193.926) despite losing the dual meet to Towson. Graduating seniors Monique Blount, Brittany Burnham and Amanda Murphy were all honored at the event.

Sophomore Viktor Svensson sends the ball back across the court last fall. Hatchet File Photo

Men’s tennis

The Colonials compiled a perfect record over break, garnering wins in each of their four matches.

March 11: The Colonials took down Florida Atlantic on the road, winning by a score of 5-2 in their first outdoor match of the season.

March 14: GW experienced continued success in the Sunshine State, yielding only one singles play loss to Troy on its way to a dominant 6-1 victory.

March 17: The Colonials traveled to the Tar Heel State and beat Campbell in a tight 4-3 match.

March 18: Capping the perfect 4-0 streak, GW closed out the week with another close battle, defeating East Carolina 4-3. No. 2 Senior Ugur Atalay finished the week on a team high five-match winning streak.

Women’s water polo

March 14: GW began its West Coast trip with a 12-7 loss to Concordia University in Irvine, Calif.

March 15: Despite a solid effort, a Whittier score in the final minute broke the tie and earned the Poets a 9-8 victory over the Colonials.

March 16: The Colonials opened up the Lancer Invite in Riverside, Calif. with a 10-5 loss against Marist. GW then took down VMI later in the day in a commanding 19-7 rout.

March 17: GW garnered two victories on its final day in the Golden State, winning against Redlands in a 10-9 thriller and then defeating Chapman by a score 13-8 in the night game.

Freshman Jack Persons takes a swing in the Colonials' practice facility in the Smith Center. | Hatchet File Photo

Golf

March 14: In the first match of the spring season, the Colonials halved with Georgia State while competing in a 4 player match-play format, finishing in a 2-2 tie.

March 16 to 17: In the 14th annual George Washington Golf Intercollegiate Invitational, the Colonials ‘‘A’ team put up a three-round combined score of 895 to earn fourth place finish of 12 teams. Defending champion senior Andres Pumariega finished in a tie fourth place individually with a combined total score of 4-over-220.

Baseball

March 10: GW dropped a doubleheader to Cornell, falling 6-3 in the opening game and 5-3 in the nightcap, despite a late rally.

March 11: The Colonials split a second doubleheader against Cornell, taking the first game 4-3 but falling 12-3 in the second.

March 14: The Colonials scored five runs in the final three innings to complete 8-4 rally over Towson.

March 16: In the first of a three-game series, the Colonials fell apart late, giving up 13 runs over the final four innings to lose to Georgetown 13-2.

March 17: After trailing going into the eighth inning, the Colonials rallied to take down local rival Georgetown 4-2 in extra innings.

March 18: Taking the Hoyas to extra innings once again, the Colonials benefited from clutch hitting to win the rubber match of the series 8-6.

hilary quinn, lacrosse, lax
Senior midfielder Hilary Quinn takes it down the field earlier this season. | Hatchet File Photo

Women’s lacrosse

March 10: The Colonials dropped a close match to No. 19 ranked Towson, 8-7, snapping their three game winning streak. Junior goalie Jess Hicks matched her career high with ten saves on the game.

March 13: Senior Megan Seidman scored a season high five goals in their 11-7 win over Villanova as the Colonials matched the programs best start through seven games.

March 19: Freshman Rachel Mia recorded her third hat trick of the season as the Colonials improved to 6-2 on the season after beating Mount St. Mary’s 16-8.

Women’s tennis

March 11: The Colonials grabbed momentum early with a No.1 doubles victory and rolled to a 5-2 win over A-10 opponent Fordham.

March 15: In their home opener, the Colonials fell to defending A-10 Champion Richmond 5-2.

***

Club teams were in action, too. The men’s club ultimate frisbee team headed to Las Vegas, competing in the sixth annual “Trouble in Vegas” tournament. The Colonials went 3-2 in bracket play, taking third place in their pool in day one of competition. GW defeated Utah 12-8 and the University of Southern California 13-6, before falling to Boise State 7-10.  To round out the first day of competition, the Colonials picked up a win over Washington 12-9 before dropping to defending Division III national champions Claremont. On the second day, GW split its action, falling to Lewis and Clark before defeating California Polytechnic State University.

The club cricket team headed to the 2012 American College Cricket Spring Break Championships, ending with a 2-1 overall record. The Colonials opened play against Cleveland State, but were ultimately defeated in the 19th over. Next, the team faced Florida Atlantic University, picking up its first victory in the tournament by seven wickets. The Colonials’ last game was against the University of Florida, where they earned another win, defeating Florida by 44 runs.