Panhel adds Kappa Delta as 11th sorority

The Panhellenic Association chose Kappa Delta over Kappa Alpha Theta and Zeta Tau Alpha as GW's 11th sorority Friday. The new chapter will colonize in the fall. Hatchet File Photo

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Cat Barnao.

The Panhellenic Association announced Friday that Kappa Delta will become GW’s 11th sorority.

Panhellenic president Marta Cofonee cited “great leadership opportunities, unique philanthropies, a strong sisterhood, member wellness programs, extensive resources and a detailed 5 year plan for colonization” as factors that contributed to Kappa Delta’s selection.

“After extensive discussion and research, the Panhellenic Executive Board with the recommendation of the extension committee, is inviting Kappa Delta to colonize on campus in the Fall of 2012,” Cofone said.

The Panhellenic Association announced its selection of Kappa Delta, Kappa Alpha Theta and Zeta Tau Alpha as the final three candidates for colonization Feb. 10. Each chapter then visited campus to make presentations to Panhel’s extension committee. The committee, which includes a member from each chapter on campus, met March 7.

“Zeta Tau Alpha and Kappa Alpha Theta were both great candidates, but Kappa Delta shone through with all of the opportunities they offer to their members,” Cofone said

Kappa Delta colonized at GW in 1922 and remained active on campus for 46 years. The most recent sorority to join GW’s Panhellenic community was Chi Omega, which returned to GW in 2008.

The chapter will colonize this fall after Panhel’s formal recruitment process.

The national arm of Kappa Delta could not immediately be reached for comment.

“We are so excited to reestablish our Sigma Mu chapter and join this wonderful Panhellenic community!,” the Kappa Delta national chapter announced on its Facebook page.

“We are extremely excited to have Kappa Delta join our Panhellenic community and are ecstatic by the amount of support we are receiving from the organizations on campus with this decision,” said Cofone, who noted that members of each of GW’s  10 existing Panhellenic chapters had shown support for the choice.