More big-name speakers announced for Clinton Global Initiative University

Madeleine Albright

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Emily Cirillo.

Three more high-profile speakers will make an appearance on campus at the Clinton Global Initiative University later this month.

Madeleine Albright, Biz Stone and Usher will join former President Bill Clinton, his daughter Chelsea Clinton and “The Daily Show” host Jon Stewart at the three-day conference, which kicks off at March 30.

Albright was appointed by Clinton as the first female Secretary of State. She also serves as a distinguished professor of diplomacy at Georgetown University.

Stone, co-founder of Twitter, also helped launch other social websites, including Xanga and Blogger. He now serves as Twitter’s creative director.

Usher, a seven-time Grammy award winner, is one of the best-selling artists of all time.

Biz Stone. Photo Courtesy of Susan Lesch used under the Creative Commons License

The University also announced that about 600 students and faculty will have a chance to attend the conference’s opening session with Clinton. The online lottery opened Thursday and will remain open until March 14 at 5 p.m.

The former president, who founded the annual conference for social entrepreneurs, will speak March 30 in the Smith Center. Speech-goers will be notified by e-mail March 15 to pick up tickets in advance. A standby line will also form the day of the event.

Past speakers for the Clinton Global Initiative University include U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin, NPR host Michele Norris, and actor Kal Penn.