Profile on Style

Profile on Style is a weekly post that explores the motivations behind GW’s fashion trends. We’ll show you the most interesting aspects of GW style, and then try to make some sense of it all. Keep your eyes open for a reporter and photographer walking around because you might become the latest trendsetter.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Morgan Viehman.

Imani Bentham. Michael Boosalis | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Imani Bentham
Year: 2013
Major: International Affairs
Hometown: New York, N.Y.
Inspired by: “Whatever I feel for in the closet!”
Outfit: Dress, vintage; boots, Steve Madden; hat, Urban Outfitters

Taking advantage of the warm weather, Imani Bentham steps out in a sleeveless tunic dress with a playful paisley pattern that’s just right for a sunny afternoon. Completing her look with a braided leather belt, brown ankle boots and a black knit hat, Bentham finds a perfect compromise between bundled and breezy. Despite the sunshine, it is still the middle of February, and these neutral accessories maintain an appropriate look for the winter season. But what really makes this outfit stand out is its vintage appeal, as the dress once belonged to her mother.

Kasia Kucharski. Michael Boosalis | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Kasia Kucharski
Year: 2015
Major: International Affairs
Hometown: Middletown, Conn.
Inspired by: the 1990s, Sarah Jessica Parker
Outfit: Jacket, dress and boots, Urban Outfitters; necklace, Madewell

Kasia Kucharski’s eclectic ensemble shows how a few bold accessories can make an outfit. Adding a chunky, mixed media necklace and slouchy brown boots to a retro A-line dress and box-pattern jacket gives an otherwise classic look a unique, indie twist. Shear tights keep her warm, and boots could easily be swapped with a pair of flats for a day at the internship.

Haley Hakimian. Michael Boosalis | Hatchet Photographer.

Name: Haley Hakimian
Year: 2013
Major: Business, Marketing
Hometown: Jacksonville, Fla.
Inspired by: Kate Moss
Outfit: Jacket, Ralph Lauren; shorts, Diane Von Furstenberg; belt, Hermès; shirt, Gucci; scarf, Saks Fifth Avenue

Haley Hakimian brings designer Florida style to GW by breaking out the shorts and sandals – even in February. Sticking to simple, structured pieces, she layers a soft denim jacket and flowy silk scarf over a black-on-black shirt and shorts combo. The gold detail on her Hermès belt adds a touch of glam while her aviators keep her looking laid-back and ready for spring.