Booker, Mostafa aim to return next season, waiting on NCAA approval

Tara Booker, Sara Mostafa
Senior center Sara Mostafa, left, goes over a drill with senior forward Tara Booker during a women's basketball practice Tuesday morning. Francis Rivera | Assistant Photo Editor

Women’s basketball seniors Tara Booker and Sara Mostafa will “likely” return to the court for the Colonials next season, the Press of Atlantic City reported Monday.

The duo’s return to the court is pending on NCAA clearance of final paperwork that will grant each another season of eligibility through a medical hardship waver.

“At the beginning of this year, I was kind of sad because I was graduating and I would be leaving [Tara] behind,” Mostafa said to the Press. “But it’s huge knowing we’re both going to be coming back and getting our fifth year. It’s an extra season to do what we came here to do. We shouldn’t have this year and we’re not going to take it for granted.”

Neither Booker, a forward/guard, nor Mostafa, a center, participated in GW’s Senior Day activities this season. Booker missed most of the 2009-10 season due to complications stemming from offseason meniscus surgery. Mostafa was sidelined indefinitely this season after fracturing her hand before GW’s game against Georgetown Dec. 11. Women’s basketball head coach Mike Bozeman told the Press he’s eagerly anticipating the duo’s return to the court next year.

“I’m looking for big things from those two,” Bozeman said. “Their senior year, we are going to do special things.”

This season, Booker averages 11.8 points per game and 6.9 rebounds per game. She is eighth all-time for three-pointers at GW, with 115 made through 66 career games. Last season, Mostafa averaged 8.1 points on 42.7 percent shooting, 4.0 rebounds and 20.0 minutes in 29 games played.

Booker and Mostafa’s ties extend past shared additional Colonial eligibility. They were high-school teammates at Absegami High School in New Jersey and also suited up together before that in middle school and junior leagues, a tie that strengthened their decision to return to GW next year.