Elections 2012: John Bennett

Presidential candidate

• Year: Junior
  • Major: International affairs, economics
  • Hometown: Milwaukee

Platform: Revitalizing Columbian Square, creating a 4-RIDE priority pick-up system and reducing student fees

Clubs/Activities: Beta Theta Pi, Student Association, College Republicans, College Democrats, International Affairs Society, Alternative Breaks

Previous SA Experience: Two-term senator; currently a U-at Large senator and chair of the SA Senate Finance Committee

Favorite @FakeStevenKnapp tweet: “I am running for SA President! I feel I’d be the best for job because after all who can bug me better than me?”

John Bennett said he already knows what it takes to be Student Association president.

Bennett, a three-year SA veteran and chair of the finance committee, said he has worked with every registered campus organization.

“I’m running because I am hands-down more prepared and qualified for the job than anyone else,” Bennett said, adding that his “institutional hindsight” will help him identify ideas worth pursuing.

Bennett also proposed merging the University’s office for academic scheduling, which handles the use of classroom space, with the office for events and venues to streamline processes for student organizations, which he said regularly utilize services of both departments.

Having separate units is inefficient, particularly when academic scheduling is “so grossly understaffed,” Bennett said. He also said the University needs to hire at least one new employee to handle event requests by student groups.

“If you vote for me, you know you’re getting someone with a Calvinist work ethic and a genuine desire to give students what they need to help themselves as best they can,” Bennett said.