Elections 2012: Benjamin Pincus

Presidential candidate

• Year: Junior
  • Major: Economics, mathematics
  • Hometown: Boca Raton, Fla.

Platform: Detailing student organization allocations, identifying student organization-based goals and greater communication between GW and student organizations

Clubs/Activities: 14th Grade Players

Previous SA Experience: None

Favorite @FakeStevenKnapp tweet: “I am endorsing Benjamin Pincus for SA President because no one else has. Also, his extremely creepy campaign poster is hilarious #gwu”

Benjamin Pincus is running for Student Association president to change student leaders’ conversations on campus.

Pincus, an executive board member of the 14th Grade Players, said the SA’s potential impact on student organizations has been overshadowed by its lofty advocacy aims for spaces like J Street and Gelman Library.

“My major goal is to draw attention away from what I call the ‘hot topic issues,’ ” he said. “And draw attention to what the SA can control and where they have failed.”

He wants leaders to focus on influencing the more than 400 student organizations on campus that depend on the SA.

Pincus wants to push the allocations process later into the fall to give groups more time to gauge their needs. He also wants to see a more “fair and equitable” appeals process, with detailed responses from the SA Finance Committee on funding requests for every campus group.

“Once you open up those informational channels, relationships become better, things become easier,” he said. “If you have a group of people that are willing to talk, you can reach mutually beneficial arrangements.”