Elections 2012: Ashwin Narla

Presidential candidate

• Year: Junior
  • Major: Criminal justice
  • Hometown: Richmond, Va.

Clubs/Activities: Sigma Chi Fraternity, GW Alternative Breaks Leader, Colonial Cabinet 2011, Freshman Day of Service leader, Community Building Community leader

Platform: SA accessibility and transparency, a campus-wide calendar and student space

Previous SA Experience: None

Favorite @FakeStevenKnapp tweet: “I am running for SA President! I feel I’d be the best for job because after all who can bug me better than me?”

Student Association presidential candidate Ashwin Narla wants students to know what the organization is up to.

With more frequent updates from the group’s top leaders, Narla would make campus more aware of the SA’s advocacy efforts.

A monthly “State of The Campus” video update would boost the transparency of the SA, he said, while stepping up the organization’s use of social media and the digital platform G-Voice would help identify campus problems.

If elected, Narla would create a comprehensive calendar for student events, which he said would boost turnout and foster community on campus.

He will also focus on eliminating classroom technology fees for student organization events. Registered student organizations do not have to pay a room rental fee but may be susceptible to other hidden fees like technology costs, which charge groups $150 each to use the University’s audio and visual equipment for up to five hours.

“There is a learning curve that you have as an outsider. But it’s also what you can bring to the table,” Narla said.